Re: Telnetd exploit for solaris

From: H D Moore (hdmat_private)
Date: Fri Sep 07 2001 - 09:09:55 PDT

    On Thursday 06 September 2001 08:35 pm, Stanley G. Bubrouski wrote:
    > On Thu, 6 Sep 2001, sween wrote:
    > > You owe script kiddies... BIG TIME.
    >
    > The computer and software industries owe script kiddies NOTHING.  Script
    > kiddies bring down sites, wreak havoc on networks, use compromised as
    > platforms for attack and all without knowing how what they are using works
    > or what harm they are doing.

    <more.offtopic.crap>
    Stan,

    After doing assessments/pen-tests for the last couple years, I have found
    that the only thing that seems to increase the public awareness of security
    issues is being owned by a script kid. A large number of people asking for
    security services have either had a breakin or are scared to death that they
    will be the next target on some kid's list. Lets say we take the kids out of
    the picture, that leaves the full range of white-hats and the upper crust of
    the black-hats.  The number of breakins would drop dramatically, the
    black-hats would only concern themselves with big/lucrative targets, and the
    majority of the "good guys" would be out of work. I for one would rather have
    some clueless script kid deface my site then someone intent on stealing my
    identity/funds/etc.  Yes, they cause damage, annoy us all, and are generally
    the cockroaches of the internet, but ironically they are protecting us from
    those with even worse intentions.

    </more.offtopic.crap>

    --
    H D Moore