Re: Telnetd exploit for solaris

From: James Puckett (gabriel_m_jamesat_private)
Date: Fri Sep 07 2001 - 11:47:43 PDT

    Yeah, we all owe those script kiddies really big time.
    If it wasn for the fucking script kiddies, we might
    all have time to really stay on top of our machines,
    so that the real crackers do not just slip past all of
    the patches and code updates we endlessly implement to
    keep out the script kiddies. If it was not for the
    script kiddies, we might have time to implement better
    mail filtering to keep polymorphic mail worms from
    wasting our bandwidth and disk space. If it was not
    for the script kiddies, my mom would be able to run a
    cable modem with having to worry about some asswipe
    using nmap to scan the @home networks and blast her
    Windows machine just for the hell of it.

    There would always be a huge need for good security
    without script kiddies. If you REALLY knew security
    you would realize that external attacks by script
    kiddies are hardly a threat compared to internal
    industrial espionage, espionage by foreign government
    into nation militarty networks, a moronic middle
    manager waxing sentimentally over his sysadmin days
    and accidentally wasting an important server, or even
    a fire wiping out a datacenter.  Script kiddies are
    nothing but a nuisance, wasting time and money that
    many companies cannot afford, distracting admins from
    the real problems.

    -james