Re: Telnetd exploit for solaris

From: Big Woz (angrybobat_private)
Date: Fri Sep 07 2001 - 12:40:04 PDT

    On Fri, Sep 07, 2001 at 04:49:27PM +0100, Gerard Palma wrote:
    > Well my 2cents worth is that script kiddies are working with known
    > vulnerabilities, using exploits written by some one else. So the
    > problem  has to be the vulnerability in the software and the people who
    > write the  exploit.

    My 2 cents is that those "script-kiddies" of days past are a bit older
    now, and no longer 'kiddies'.... just look at code red 2, it's far more
    advanced than the exploit the so called "security experts" at eeye
    came up with.  (please note I have the highest respect for eeye,
    I'm just being sarcastic to make a point.)

    Lets face it, the ones who are the kiddies here are the supposed
    "security experts".... they're the ones that need the information and
    training that these "kiddies" are able to get easily from their peers.
    At every turn someone starts crying when someone else attempts to put
    the infrastructure in place to create a stronger group of "security
    experts" for the future....

    On the other hand, no one has any idea what to do about children capable
    of crashing powerful servers.  Unless someone else has a better idea of
    how to get the information out to the next generation of good-guys there
    is nothing productive gained from trying to take a wack at "full
    disclosure".

    --adam