Re: Telnetd exploit for solaris

From: Joseph Mallett (jmallettat_private)
Date: Fri Sep 07 2001 - 13:06:15 PDT

    > There would always be a huge need for good security
    > without script kiddies. If you REALLY knew security
    > you would realize that external attacks by script
    > kiddies are hardly a threat compared to internal
    > industrial espionage, espionage by foreign government
    > into nation militarty networks, a moronic middle
    > manager waxing sentimentally over his sysadmin days
    > and accidentally wasting an important server, or even
    > a fire wiping out a datacenter.  Script kiddies are
    > nothing but a nuisance, wasting time and money that
    > many companies cannot afford, distracting admins from
    > the real problems.

    And indeed, hiding the real problems. Think of a time
    when script kiddies are out causing trouble, etc., and
    imagine you have a REAL malicious goal. It is easy to
    slip undetected while people scramble to catch the
    kiddie, and while they're looking for rootkits and
    eigth rate worms, that confidential document or the
    mail spool you grabbed go undetected.

    Yes, we all owe script kiddies, or at least, the real
    blackhats and criminals do.