RE: New "concept" virus/worm?

From: Peter Mueller (pmuellerat_private)
Date: Tue Sep 18 2001 - 13:41:56 PDT

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/download/critical/Q290108/default.asp

    <exerp from securityfocus>

    Experts are tracking a fast-spreading virus that propagates both by sending
    itself as an email attachment, and by hacking into vulnerable web servers.

    The W32.Nimda.A@mm worm infects IIS servers by exploiting the 'MS IIS/PWS
    Escaped Characters Decoding Command Execution Vulnerability' -- the same
    hole exploited by the recent Code Blue worm.

    The worm also attacks Microsoft Outlook users, arriving as an apparently
    blank message with an attachment called 'readme.exe.' As with other viruses,
    opening the attachment will infect the machine.

    But unlike most so-called mass mailers, Nimda can also infect Outlook and
    Outlook Express users who know better than to open strange attachments. By
    exploiting a bug in Internet Explorer discovered last March, the worm is
    able to infect victim computers when the email is read, or even displayed in
    Outlook's preview pane.

    A patch for the 'Microsoft IE MIME Header Attachment Execution
    Vulnerability' is available from Microsoft's web site.

    Once it has infected a machine, Nimda exposes local hard drives to the
    network, and spreads further through already-open file shares.

    worm Tuesday morning, after network administrators noticed a massive
    increase in probes for unpatched Microsoft's IIS web server software.

    No destructive payload was immediately identified in the worm, but network
    administrators report that the worm consumes massive amounts of bandwidth in
    its feverish search for vulnerable servers.

    The virus comes at a time of heightened sensitivity to Internet attack.

    On Monday the U.S. National Infrastructure Protection Center (NIPC) issued
    an advisory warning that a group of vigilante hackers called 'The
    Dispatchers' have threatened to launch distributed denial of service attacks
    against unnamed Internet hosts, in response to the September 11th terrorist
    attacks on the United States.

    "The Dispatchers claim to have over 1,000 machines under their control for
    the attacks," the advisory reads. "It is likely that the attackers will mask
    their operations by using the IP addresses and pirated systems of uninvolved
    third parties."