Re: More on the Worm

From: Michael H. Warfield (mhwat_private)
Date: Tue Sep 18 2001 - 14:14:03 PDT

    On Tue, Sep 18, 2001 at 11:52:37AM -0700, Aj Effin Reznor wrote:
    > Seems this may also be hitting somehow on/over SAMBA.

    > A colleague (Alien8) had this to say about his SGI Indy
    > with SAMBA running:

    > "I started seeing a printout (w/no actual print command)
    > of the file (not sure why) and realized it was coming
    > from my indy... there was all sorts of traffic so i ran
    > tcpdump, and then turned off samba alltogether and it
    > nearly disappeared (the traffic)"

    	The worm is known to attempt netbios connections (showing up
    as port 136 or 445 connections) and connecting to SMB shares (Windows
    or Samba) as guest.  If if can connect, it attempts to propagate
    through that share.  Sounds to me like it hit a Samba share and
    started to copy itself in but it turn out to be a printer share and
    printed instead.  Because Samba is pretty versatile, it's easy to
    advertise a share as something it's not.  Like advertising a printer
    share but not as a printer.  The worm could have mistaken a printer
    share as a drive share.

    	You didn't say where the printer was connected (connected to the
    Indy would be consistent or direct network connection with a Samba
    printer share would be consistent).

    	It's highly unlikely that the worm itself was running on the
    Indy.  It's known behaviors would be consistent with it connecting to
    a share on the Indy and feeding itself in and ending up on the printer.

    > -aj.

    	Mike
    --
     Michael H. Warfield    |  (770) 985-6132   |  mhwat_private
      (The Mad Wizard)      |  (678) 463-0932   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/