NIMDA Removal

From: Isherwood Jeff C Contr AFRL/IFOSS (Jeffrey.Isherwoodat_private)
Date: Thu Sep 20 2001 - 09:14:30 PDT

    Good Afternoon,

            I know there's a lot going on everywhere, and you might already have
    something like this (I know most AV Vendors have them, but they are all a
    bit different.)  AV Sites around the world are coming out with tools to fix
    and remove it. I dislike those tools, because they require that you
    completely trust the AV Vendor caught everything.  I sat down and went over
    everything this one does, based on live samples we caught and tested, as
    well as data from the various mailing lists, and a few contributions from
    other sources. I hope I've got it all down now.

              We set this one off over a dozen times in a controlled
    environment.  Since the infections began only a few copies of NIMDA have
    ACTUALLY been set off here, they were set off and contained in under 5
    minutes.  Those infections were early in the day Tuesday, before our
    defenses and administrators were fully brought to bear, before our users
    were properly alerted.

              These instructions have been tested against infected systems and
    appear to be pretty complete.  There are aspects of this virus that DO NOT
    HAPPEN on every machine, it's a bit fluky, sometimes crashing before it
    finishes it's intrusion, sometimes not.  Unix systems are my thing, not
    windows, but I think I got everything.

            I hope that they can be of some help.

    - Jeffrey Isherwood...

      _____

    Jeffrey.Isherwoodat_private - Senior Security Engineer-UNIX Sys AFRL\IFOSS
    Security Awareness Training and Education (SATE) MANAGER
    Comm:(315) 330-7246 DSN: 587-7246
    You lock up your Car and your House...
           Why not your workstation...?

    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided by the SecurityFocus ARIS analyzer service. For more information on this free incident handling, management and tracking system please see: http://aris.securityfocus.com