Re: Time-to-patch vs Disclosure method

From: Mark Kennedy (mkennedyat_private)
Date: Wed Oct 17 2001 - 14:55:53 PDT

    I disagree that all Microsoft is doing is diverting attention.  They raise
    some legitimate questions and concerns.  Their problems are another topic.
    But just because they are the source of the vulnerability does not
    undermine their valid concerns on how that vulnerability is disclosed.

    Thanx,

    Mark

                        Olaf Kirch
                        <okir@caldera.       To:     "J. J. Horner" <jhornerat_private>
                        de>                  cc:     vuln-devat_private
                                             Subject:     Re: Time-to-patch vs Disclosure method
                        10/17/2001
                        02:02 PM

    On Wed, Oct 17, 2001 at 01:15:20PM -0400, J. J. Horner wrote:
    > I think it would be helpful to see some stats showing
    > the length of time to security patch versus the
    > type of disclosure used (full, or otherwise).

    I think the really interesting metric is time-to-exploit vs
    disclosure. The time-to-exploit can be quite low. I particularly remember
    the uw-imap AUTH bug I reported to Crispin a couple of years ago. There
    was an announcement to the pine-users mailing list about an unspecified
    "security fix". The first exploits were available the other day, and
    the first mass scans were well under way a week or two later.

    Similar things happened with other Linux/Unix holes (amd, rpc.statd, etc).
    With most services _knowing_ there's a security hole is enough to motivate
    people to go find it and write an exploit.

    What Microsoft is doing right now, though, is divert everyone's attention
    from the real problem, which is the quality of their product. So whatever
    one says in response to their claims will probably just add to the smoke
    and FUD.

    Olaf
    --
    Olaf Kirch         |  --- o --- Nous sommes du soleil we love when we play
    okirat_private  |    / | \   sol.dhoop.naytheet.ah kin.ir.samse.qurax