Re: 0-day exploit..do i hear $1000?

From: Pedro Miller Rabinovitch (pedroat_private)
Date: Fri Oct 19 2001 - 14:59:09 PDT

    At 18:48 -0200 19.10.01, Thiago Conde Figueiro wrote:
    >HC> This certainly is an excellent point.  MSSP's are
    >HC> likely to see that putting a little $$ up front for
    >HC> big dividends in publicity on the back end.  Who's to
    >HC> say it hasn't already happening.
    >
    >	Next thing you know, anti-virus companies will be paying
    >people to discover viruses.  Heyyy wait a minute... :-)

    I didn't get it. Vulnerabilities are 'discovered' and 'exploited' --
    viruses, on the other hand, are 'created'. Hence, the analogy to what
    HC mentioned in the preceding message would be:

    	"Next thing you know, anti-virus companies will be paying
    people to *CREATE* viruses."

    ...which is, as far as I know, merely one of the many unconfirmed
    rumours people exchange by the water fountains.

    Regards,

    	Pedro.

    --
    This message bears my personal opinions only and does not necessarily
    reflect the company's position on any matters.

    _____
    "Segurança em TI - uma especialidade Cipher Technology"