Bogus Email

From: Thorat_private
Date: Sat Nov 03 2001 - 16:37:40 PST

    Greetings:

    For whatever reason, it seems that I have become the target (or masqueraded
    source as the case may be) of an email prank.

    Someone originating from SERVER4 (193.128.138.68 [193.128.138.68]) is
    sending out the email portion of the Nimda virus with *my* email address as
    the FROM.  The RIPE whois server (responsible for European addresses)
    reports the netblock ownership as follows:
    inetnum:      193.128.138.64 - 193.128.138.127
    netname:      EEIA-NET
    descr:        East of England Investment Agency Ltd
    country:      GB
    admin-c:      RF778-RIPE
    tech-c:       RF778-RIPE
    status:       ASSIGNED PA
    mnt-by:       AS1849-MNT
    changed:      jamesbat_private 19980630
    changed:      stephenbat_private 19990915
    source:       RIPE

    I don't really know what I can do about it other than to notify you folks.
    The SF newsgroups are the only email-based groups I participate in from this
    box or address, so if this is malicious it is likely that you might get an
    email that looks like it is from me.  Of late, I have been posting all my
    content directly to the HammerOfGod website, and have not been using
    attachments (I learned my lesson from the Mutex program I zipped up and sent
    out...)  Besides, I would NEVER send out and .exe.  In fact, I couldn't even
    if I wanted to as my mail is first filtered by my local server, and then by
    2 others before it finally goes out to the world.

    Sorry for any confusion, but there is not much I can do about it.

    AD