RE: Infected jpeg files?

From: Krul Thomas (Thomas.Krulat_private)
Date: Fri Nov 09 2001 - 07:39:24 PST

    Having used various JPEG formats for about 10 years now, and having worked
    along side software developers familiar with the inner workings of the JPEG
    format, I have some comments to add to this thread.

    #1 I have never heard of anybody ever having been infected by a JPEG file.

    #2 JPEG is probably the most commonly-distributed graphic format - it would
    make a great vector for malicious code. However, see point #1 (so as far as
    currently-available JPEGs on current viewers are concerned, you're probably
    safe).

    #3 As mentioned by Mathias, social engineering plays a role in which users
    are duped into running an executable they assume is a JPEG file. This works
    not just because the file system UI can be ambiguous, but because people
    enjoy receiving pictures (and most often more than one at a time).

    #4 A custom image viewer/JPEG combination could possibly act as a kind of
    Trojan. One could compromise a user's system by dispersing a freeware image
    viewer program capable of recognizing, nabbing and utilizing snippets of
    malicious code from compromised JPEGs. The payload is achieved when such a
    JPEG (probably sent as something racy or humerous) is received and viewed.
    This delayed payload approach would allow time for achieving a critical mass
    of compromised image viewers. Of course, why the writer of such a program
    wouldn't rather set a time bomb function into the image viewer itself would
    be a mystery to me.

    With the recent layoffs in the hi tech sector, it's possible that a
    disgruntled employee could insert similar malicious code into a respected
    and trusted software (such as an image viewer) either before they leave or
    even in a parallel version released on bulletin boards, etc.

    As usual, it's wise to look both ways before crossing the street and double
    clicking on file attachments...