Infected jpeg files?

From: rginskiat_private
Date: Tue Nov 06 2001 - 17:22:40 PST

    Mailer: SecurityFocus

    Is it possible for a virus to infect a jpeg (*.jpg) file,
    then the jpg file to infect other files?...without
    changing the files characteristics? In other words, a
    jpeg file (file.jpg) is infected and it
    remains "infected_file.jpg". It is possible for a file type
    as jpeg to have a payload or cause damage although
    it's just being viewed? Perhaps something like
    steganagraphy...except embedding vbs (or
    something) causing infection by way of the viewer? I
    guess another way of asking the question is:

    Is it possible to get infected by just viewing jpeg files?

    I realize that's a "wide open question" I just don't
    know how else to explain myself. Thanks in advance
    for your patience and help.