Re: New bugs discovered!

From: Syzop (syzat_private)
Date: Mon Nov 19 2001 - 11:13:31 PST

    "Larry W. Cashdollar" wrote:

    > I think we are going to find a new era of buffer overflows, not in
    > the daemons themselves but the user utilities that they call.  Overflows
    > in non-setuid binaries might be worth cataloging if these binaries are
    > being called by applications that are listening to a socket.

    I've been thinking about this a month ago or something, and then started
    looking at the ls source code, because some (most?) ftp servers use an
    external /bin/ls (in the chroot, if you are an anonymous user)... so if it contains
    a bug... :)
    Anyway, I didn't find something...
    Also, if you _do_ find a bug in it, you're still in the chroot jail (and uid != 0)...
    could be difficult to get out... mm maybe with kernel exploit -> root -> break out...

    Mmm, about the gzip bug...
    will a ftp server allow you to pass a filename of ~1100 chars?
    It looks like a free() bug (trying to free 0x41414141 ["env" in do_exit IIRC]),
    or at least with gzip source code / rh6.1...

        Syzop.