Re: New bugs discovered!

From: The Itch (itchieat_private)
Date: Mon Nov 19 2001 - 09:06:52 PST

    ah, yes and so are /usr/bin/compress, /usr/bin/uncompress and /bin/zcat
    and /bin/gunzip vulnerable to simple buffer overflows.

    (Compress version: (N)compress 4.2.4, compiled: Mon Feb  7 16:15:44 EST 2000)
    (zcat 1.2.4 (18 Aug 93))

    this is on redhat 6.2

    uncompress and compress are called by wuftpd (maybe other ftpd's too) to
    compress and uncompress files on the fly

    I quickly looked into it a few months ago, i am not sure, but i believe
    maximum input you can give is 1024 bytes in wuftpd, thus not enough to
    overflow the buffers of either of those programs

    (more detailed info: http://bse.die.ms/~itchie/stuff/advisories/advbse01.txt)

    --

    - The Itch
    	http://bse.die.ms