Re: New bugs discovered!

From: Alex Butcher (vuln-dev) (vulndevat_private)
Date: Tue Nov 20 2001 - 02:36:55 PST

    On Mon, 19 Nov 2001, The Itch wrote:

    > ah, yes and so are /usr/bin/compress, /usr/bin/uncompress and /bin/zcat
    > and /bin/gunzip vulnerable to simple buffer overflows.
    >
    > (Compress version: (N)compress 4.2.4, compiled: Mon Feb  7 16:15:44 EST 2000)
    > (zcat 1.2.4 (18 Aug 93))
    >
    > this is on redhat 6.2

    Verified here on RH 7.2 with compress and uncompress:

    $ uncompress `perl -e 'print "A" x 2048'`
    Segmentation fault
    $ compress `perl -e 'print "A" x 2048'`
    Segmentation fault
    $ compress -V
    Compress version: (N)compress 4.2.4, compiled: Mon Jun 25 04:14:46 EDT
    2001
    Compile options:
            FAST, DIRENT,
            REGISTERS=20 IBUFSIZ=1024, OBUFSIZ=1024, BITS=16
    [ ... ]
    $ rpm -qif `which compress`
    Name        : ncompress                    Relocations: (not relocateable)
    Version     : 4.2.4                             Vendor: Red Hat, Inc.
    Release     : 24                            Build Date: Mon 25 Jun 2001 09:14:50 BST
    [ ... ]

    > uncompress and compress are called by wuftpd (maybe other ftpd's too) to
    > compress and uncompress files on the fly
    >
    > I quickly looked into it a few months ago, i am not sure, but i believe
    > maximum input you can give is 1024 bytes in wuftpd, thus not enough to
    > overflow the buffers of either of those programs

    I think you're right that wu-ftp is unintentionally protecting buffer
    overflows, but I'm not sure about the value; strace indicates a read of
    4096, and a manually spoofed ftp connection indicates 511 bytes (+1 for
    the NULL). Anyone else?

    Incidentally, whilst I was testing...

    $ ncftp
    NcFTP 3.0.3 (April 15, 2001) by Mike Gleason (ncftpat_private).
    ncftp> $AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
    *** Error: getline(): input buffer overflow
    $ AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

    $ rpm -qif `which ncftp`
    Name        : ncftp                        Relocations: /usr
    Version     : 3.0.3                             Vendor: Red Hat, Inc.
    Release     : 6                             Build Date: Sat 04 Aug 2001 20:55:09 BST

    Probably not exploitable, but...

    Best Regards,
    Alex.
    --
    Alex Butcher         Brainbench MVP for Internet Security: www.brainbench.com
    Berkshire, UK      Is *your* company hiring UNIX/Security/Pen. testing folks?