Re: Insecure Password Authentication in Yahoo! Messenger

From: Emre Yildirim (emreat_private)
Date: Fri Nov 23 2001 - 12:15:22 PST

    > GOBBLES then run tcpdump and using YMSG structure above as reference he find
    > first packet with service type constant 0x01. This LOGIN packet. GOBBLES
    > notice it use MCF/MD5 encryption of user password with crypt(3) salt like
    > $1$_2S43d5f$. Encrypted password is sent over the wire in LOGIN packet. User
    > is immediately authenticated.

    Try this, login to Yahoo and type this into your URL bar:

    javascript:document.cookie

    This will reveal your Yahoo cookie.  Now, take a look at the Y= part:

    Y=v=1&n=9pmgnpttq7fsr&l=6e11b4i1k6jh0g/o&p=m2g298l2020002&r=8p&lg=us

    v= is probably version, n= is most likely the hashed password, like you
    already pointed out, probably a MD5 hash. Now, l= is more interesting.
    This is obviously "login".  My friend (jabanksat_private) figured out
    that this is simply some sort of ROT13-type encryption:

    6 = g, e = o, 1 = b, b = l, 4 = e, i = s and so on...It's a matter of
    replacing letters and rotating the alphabet around.

    So 6e11b4i1k6jh0g = gobblesbugtraq.  The /o never changes in the cookies
    for some reason.  I have no idea what p= is, but after several tests
    (changing passwords) it is not the password, regardless of "p".  It
    doesn't even seem to matter when someone logs in. I also don't know what
    r= is, but I'm sure it has something to do with n=, the password.  lg=
    is the language.

    So in conclusion, if you could figure out n= you could also login to
    someone's account using a cookie.  Just my $0.02

    > GREETS
    > ******

    [snip]

    > nietzsche, radiohead,