Re: Malicious use of grc.com

From: Chris (chrisbat_private)
Date: Tue Nov 27 2001 - 15:59:39 PST

    On Tue, 27 Nov 2001 10:09:59 -0800, H C wrote:

    >> Not necessarily.  There are a vast number of
    >> misconfigured proxies
    >> available on the 'net that would afford a malicious
    >> outsider ample
    >> opportunity to do their dirty work without betraying
    >> their point of
    >> origin.  This negates the immediacy of any audit
    >> trail and exacerbates the
    >> severity of Gibson's oversight.
    >
    >For a port scan?  Really?

    Hi,

    Find just about any out of the box proxy setup and you will be able
    to check things like http://host:1/ http://host:1234/ etc

    I think squid is about the only one that blocks this misuse by
    default? Could be wrong about that one though.. More could restrict
    ports by default these days..

    Regards
    --
    Chris, chrisbat_private on 28/11/2001