Anti-Web "Vulnerability" is a false alarm

From: D. (dugelyat_private)
Date: Sat Dec 01 2001 - 23:03:06 PST

    Hello Bugtraq,

    This is Doug Hoyte, head programmer of the Anti-Web
    project. I'm responding to an "advisory" put out
    recently by the "GOBBLES research group".

    I was not contacted by this "researcher". I'm an
    occassional reader of bugtraq, but I missed this
    particular message. I wouldn't have found out at all
    if I wasn't E-Mailed by Stuart Moore of
    www.securitytracker.com (which is an
    excellent security website, by the way.) Stuart also
    said to me that he was unable to validate GOBBLES'
    claims. Thank you for notifying me, Stuart.

    Since early versions of Anti-Web, I've been aware of
    GET request attacks using '..', '~', etc, and have
    programmed this security into Anti-Web as such. As you
    can imagine, I was very suprised by this "advisory". I
    checked to make sure it was a recent version that
    GOBBLES was testing. It was.

    After reading GOBBLES' message through, I realized
    that his testing procedure was completely flawed.

    I'm not intimatley familiar with lynx, but I realized
    that something strange was going on here.

    I decided to disprove GOBBLES' technique. The ps and
    netstat commands show that awhttpd is NOT running on
    this system. Next, I run the same command procedure
    that GOBBLES ran in his advisory.

    /home/doug/tp2@orion$ uname -a
    OpenBSD orion 2.9 DOUGS#0 i386
    /home/doug/tp2@orion$ ps -aux | grep awhttpd
    /home/doug/tp2@orion$ netstat -an | grep 2000
    /home/doug/tp2@orion$ lynx -dump localhost:2000/../
    >GOBBLES
    /home/doug/tp2@orion$ cat GOBBLES

    Current directory is /home/doug/tp2/

        -rw-r--r--    1 doug     doug           0 Dec  1
    20:51 [1]GOBBLES
        -rw-r--r--    1 doug     doug       37287 Dec  1
    20:34 [2]awhttpd-2.1.tgz
        drwxr-xr-x    3 doug     doug         512 Dec  1
    20:35 [3]awhttpd/
        -rw-r--r--    1 doug     doug         928 Dec  1
    20:50 [4]gobblesreply.txt