Re: exploiting wu-ftpd

From: Przemyslaw Frasunek (venglinat_private)
Date: Sun Dec 02 2001 - 06:16:49 PST

    On Sunday 02 December 2001 04:25, Fyodor wrote:
    > > Heh, this is a fake.
    > > It dosen't work.
    > Cuz a bit more usage of gray matter instance is needed.

    Actually, yes. This exploit will *not* work in the wild. Please don't send me
    tons of mails asking, how to use it. This is only demonstration of technique,
    not a release for ./script kiddos. That's why I've sent it to vuln-dev, not
    to bugtraq. I won't release fully functional exploit until people stop using
    unpatched 2.6.1.

    A brief description of used technique:

    - attacker populates heap with pointers to proctitle buf by calling few times
    'STAT ~{ptrptrptrptr'

    - after that, attacker does 'STAT {~' which calls two times blockfree() in
    ftpglob() and malicious 'ptr' is passed to free()

    - in proctitle buf there is a fake malloc chunk, pointing to syslog() GOT
    entry and shellcode, also located in proctitle buf

    - free() when trying to deallocate fake chunk overwrites pointer to syslog()
    function and then segfaults in chunk_free()

    - segfault sighandler calls syslog() and shellcode is executed

    The lab box was generic Mandrake 8.1 with wu-ftpd 2.6.1 compiled from the
    sources and linked against dlmalloc extracted from glibc 2.2.4 with modified
    arena_for_ptr macro.

    BIG FAT WARNING FOR KIDDIES: IT WILL *NOT* *NOT* *NOT* WORK IN THE WILD.

    --
    * Fido: 2:480/124 ** WWW: http://www.frasunek.com/ ** NIC-HDL: PMF9-RIPE *
    * Inet: przemyslawat_private ** PGP: D48684904685DF43EA93AFA13BE170BF *