Proxy bypass in Opera : security related ?

From: Nicolas Gregoire (ngregoireat_private)
Date: Wed Dec 05 2001 - 01:22:45 PST

    Hi,

    while I was trying to bypass some URL filtering software using specially formated URLs, I found a problem
    in the Opera browser.

    This bug was reported to Opera via their bug notification form, but I haven't receive any response so far.

    Details :
    ======

    When the URL http://3638218280/ is requested, Opera will try to fetch to page located at
    http://216.218.206.40/ (normal DWord to IP address conversion [1]) *without* using the configured
    proxy settings.

    Scenario :
    =========

    I haven't any really interesting scenario for this bug.
    Yes, it's possible to make a user follow a link and get a page without using the configured proxy, but if,
    in a company, there's a proxy and a way to fetch web pages without using the proxy, the problem is,
    in my opinion, a security policy problem ....

    Does anybody see any security implication for this bug ?

    Nicolas Grégoire [2]

    [1] : http://www.fichtner.net/tools/ip2dword/
    [2] : Please excuse my poor english