Re: Red Hat 7.1 rpc.statd problem

From: Fyodor (fygraveat_private)
Date: Wed Dec 05 2001 - 12:49:08 PST

    On Wed, Dec 05, 2001 at 12:36:09PM -0800, Blue Boar wrote:
    > > .. now they fixed it to be:
    > >     syslog("lookup screwed for: %s\n", userdata);
    >
    > So if someone has written a bad syslog implementation, then the format
    > string will get sent to the syslogd, and potentially exploit that?

    it is not "bad syslog implementation". If it is a standard syslog
    function implementation (which is part of libc by the way) which
    supports '%n' and similar arguments, and if format string is affected by
    user supplied data, it could be exploitable.
    (not only syslog, which i used as example but a bunch of other functions
    too. There were some papers published on fmt bugs exploitation. Please
    refer to those for more details ;-))

    > Just seems to me that the statd code should use a smaller buffer,
    > or strip out some characters, or something that wouldn't put
    > such a scary entry into the log files. :)

    I guess 63(?) characters is the hostname max length according to RFC. So
    it is probably statd messup/overlook not to chop it. (although I doubt
    it would make much harm in this case)..

    --
    http://www.notlsd.net