Re: Red Hat 7.1 rpc.statd problem

From: Valdis.Kletnieksat_private
Date: Thu Dec 06 2001 - 08:49:43 PST

    On Thu, 06 Dec 2001 03:49:08 +0700, Fyodor said:

    > I guess 63(?) characters is the hostname max length according to RFC. So
    > it is probably statd messup/overlook not to chop it. (although I doubt
    > it would make much harm in this case)..

    RFC1123, section 2.1:

       2.1  Host Names and Numbers

          The syntax of a legal Internet host name was specified in RFC-952
          [DNS:4].  One aspect of host name syntax is hereby changed: the
          restriction on the first character is relaxed to allow either a
          letter or a digit.  Host software MUST support this more liberal
          syntax.

          Host software MUST handle host names of up to 63 characters and
          SHOULD handle host names of up to 255 characters.

          Whenever a user inputs the identity of an Internet host, it SHOULD
          be possible to enter either (1) a host domain name or (2) an IP
          address in dotted-decimal ("#.#.#.#") form.  The host SHOULD check
          the string syntactically for a dotted-decimal number before
          looking it up in the Domain Name System.

    RFC1035, section 2.3.4:

    2.3.4. Size limits

    Various objects and parameters in the DNS have size limits.  They are
    listed below.  Some could be easily changed, others are more
    fundamental.

    labels          63 octets or less

    names           255 octets or less

    TTL             positive values of a signed 32 bit number.

    UDP messages    512 octets or less

    So it's a hostname of 255 chars or less, with no more than 63 characters
    per each level of domain name.

    I mention this because I've seen too many 'char hostname[64];' in my life ;)
    --
    				Valdis Kletnieks
    				Operating Systems Analyst