Re: character injecting on linux console

From: Robert van der Meulen (rvdmat_private)
Date: Sat Dec 08 2001 - 10:24:54 PST

    Hi,

    Quoting Doru Petrescu (pdoruat_private):
    > 2. Can someone explain to me what is happening ?
    > is this a bug in the kernel code that handles terminal output ? can we
    > make it do something else ? (like overwriting memory, etc ...)
    These are just regular escape characters; the same kind that allow colors
    in your shell, character movement, more intelligent drawing. Lots of things
    you can do with that. Most unix tools have safeguards to disallow execution
    of arbitrary escape sequences; you will probably find this doesn't work in
    emails as well. 'mutt' and 'pine' for example, will not carelessly echo
    these.
    The same kind of sequences are used by some textmode irc clients, and even
    mpg123, to change xterm titles.

    Greets,
    	Robert
    --
    			      Linux Generation
       encrypted mail preferred. finger rvdmat_private for my GnuPG/PGP key.