Re: Remote exploit for popular Sniffer Ettercap.

From: Giorgio (denebat_private)
Date: Wed Dec 12 2001 - 19:00:23 PST

    On Wed, Dec 12, 2001, vuln-dev wrote:

    > Hello Readers,
    >
    > GOBBLES Labs full disclosure advisory + exploit for popular sniffer
    > Ettercap.  Do not confuse this with GOBBLES-11.txt or GOBBLES-own-ettercap.c
    > ; this is one of the many remote exploits we wrote for this program.

    Ok at the full disclosure, but it will be better even check the current
    CVS tree, before doing useless announces.

    The new ettercap today was released and fix this and another security holes
    that you've not found.
    The day after your first announce, the ettercap developers started to check
    all static buffer and most of format strings, introduced the strlcpy in
    the CVS tree and replaced most of sprintf/strcpy with more less error prone
    strlcpy/strlcat/snprintf. I checked the project at Sat 8 Dec as betatester,
    and I noticed that still all most of the dissectors were checked against buffer
    overflows.
    However every vendor/distro should replace the old version with the 0.6.3.

    Cheers,
    deneb.

    Giorgio Zoppi
    http://www.cli.di.unipi.it/~zoppi/