Re: FTP scans from wanadoo.fr - MOre info

From: Replugge [Rod] (repluggeat_private)
Date: Tue Dec 18 2001 - 10:58:28 PST

    UFFF .. it seems like this people is looking for iis vulnerabilities all
    over the internet.. this look like some mass defacement tools. I
    remember a group called poizonb0x used some of those. at least now we
    know what they where looking for...

    i found some interesting stuff looking around.

    "USER ftp" 331 -
    "PASS mozilla@" 230 -
    "SITE EXEC %020d|%.f%.f|" 500 -

    Q: Have there been discovered any vulnerabilities affecting Microsoft's
    FTP Services? (If not we probably got a new one).

    that looks like some ftp vulnerability on IIS ... i downloaded some
    statics made by other users:

    Top 5:
      1: t-dialin.net          (302 attempts, 30 hosts)
      2: unresolved            (280 attempts)
      3: wanadoo.fr            (40 attempts, from 10 hosts)
      4: aol.com               (30 attempts, from 3 hosts)
      5: telia.com             (20 attempts from 1 host)

    I believe this could be a mass defacement tool or perhaps we could be
    talking about a worm that infects IIS boxes (i don't think so)... lots
    of the people have been geting this scans since the beginning of
    October.

    On Tue, 2001-12-18 at 11:49, dr john halewood wrote:
    > There's a distinct pattern to these scans from wanadoo. Looking through some
    > logs (I allow anonymous login but with read-only access on one box). I've
    > noticed the following:
    > the anonymous login password: frequently [A-Z]gpuserat_private
    > an attempt to cd to some directories: /ftproot, /wwwroot, /_vti_bin,
    > /_vti_cnf, /cgi-bin, amongst others: the pattern varies, but all requests
    > take place within a second, so it's definitely scripted. This is followed by
    > an attempt to create a number of directories with a name such as
    > 011203022432p, where the first 6 digits are YYMMDD.
    >
    > Anyone recognise the tool?
    >
    > Cheers
    > john

    /*