Re: FTP scans from wanadoo.fr - MOre info

From: Pieter-Bas IJdens (pbijdensat_private)
Date: Wed Dec 19 2001 - 03:15:59 PST

    > "USER ftp" 331 -
    > "PASS mozilla@" 230 -
    > "SITE EXEC %020d|%.f%.f|" 500 -
    >
    > Q: Have there been discovered any vulnerabilities affecting Microsoft's
    > FTP Services? (If not we probably got a new one).
    >
    > that looks like some ftp vulnerability on IIS ... i downloaded some
    > statics made by other users:
    >
    > Top 5:
    >   1: t-dialin.net          (302 attempts, 30 hosts)
    <<SNAP>>

    > I believe this could be a mass defacement tool or perhaps we could be
    > talking about a worm that infects IIS boxes (i don't think so)... lots
    > of the people have been geting this scans since the beginning of
    > October.

    Yes. I remember posting these log entries and the top 5 to the dshield.org
    mailing list on October 19th. Since then a lot has changed. A new version of
    grim's ping has become available, and also recently I saw the exact same
    patterns of these grims ping scans in my logs, but simultaneously from 10
    different IPs (spoofed?).

    The mass defacement tool or worm you are talking about AFAIK does not exist.
    These scans are performed by people looking for weakly configured FTP
    servers they can put their warez on. They don't particularly care about the
    present content of the site and are careful not to disturb it because they
    don't want to attract attention. They prefer FTP servers on Microsoft
    systems because they tend to be badly configured and it's easy to hide their
    stuff on it (http://www.xs4all.nl/~liew/startdivx/endofdeleters.txt). From
    the ftp command logs I notice that all that is done usually is log in.
    Rarely other commands are attempted, so I assume they just log the system
    type and possible public access.

    See http://pieter-bas.ijdens.com/logs/ftpconnects.txt for a full listing of
    scanning IPs since the beginning of september, and
    http://pieter-bas.ijdens.com/logs/ftp_full.txt.gz if you are interested to
    see what these people try for commands on the scanned sites.

    New stats (last ones were Oct 19 2001): t-dialin.net at 687 attempts,
    wanadoo.fr at 164 attempts.

      Pieter-Bas