RE: yet another fake exploit making rounds

From: Wall, Kevin (Kevin.Wallat_private)
Date: Fri Dec 21 2001 - 07:18:51 PST

    Michal Zalewski,

    > Most recent (third) issue of "el8" zine, available at
    > http://el8.8m.com,
    > among other things claims to have a "0-day" dcron exploit, allegedely
    > coded by me and Rafal Wojtczuk (Nergal).
    > ... it appears to be a very nicely crafted trojan horse.
    > It does send your /etc/passwd file to a fixed address
    your-addressat_private
    > ... this mailbox is probably valid and attended):

    Perhaps we all ought to oblige them by sending them bogus /etc/passwd files
    and let them spin there wheels trying to crack the passwords.

    Or alternately, grab a few hundred megabytes of random garbage to send
    them...

    	dd if=/dev/random ibs=4K count=102400 | mail your-addressat_private

    and overflow their mailbox. Anything to keep them busy over the holidays.
    ---
    Kevin W. Wall		Qwest Communications International, Inc.
    Kevin.Wallat_private	Phone: 614.932.5542
    "Wipe Info uses hexadecimal values to wipe files. This provides more
    security than wiping with decimal values."
    		-- Norton System Works 2002 manual, pg 160