Re: Windows XP 'logon screen' runs as system account

From: Ryan Permeh (ryanat_private)
Date: Sat Dec 22 2001 - 02:59:07 PST

    get a copy of process exploder from the nt4 resource kit.  note this is
    process exploder, not process explorer.  Now, process exploder has the
    ability to tell what priv levels individual threads are at, and if i
    remember correctly, the quotas associated with each thread context.

    LOCAL_SYSTEM is higher than adminsitrator, and typically offers many more SE
    privs than an administrator would need.  your code may need to issue a
    reverttoself if your thread is actually not executing with system priv
    levels.  I haven't actually played with this right now, so i can't give any
    details.  however, since it requires administrative privs to begin with, the
    only real attack i can see on this would be convicing a stupid admin to
    download a trojan theme.  The same problem could be done by sending a .scr
    screensaver, or any type of trojan, since it is likely that any
    admininstrator who changes a server logon screen with an untrused, outside
    binary is likely to be attacked by something like this just as easy.

    This would kind of fall under what we call a subversion of function attack,
    where a plugable system can potentially execute arbitrary code.  Many plugin
    systems are vulnerable to these types of attacks, however, by limiting
    exposure to the administrative group, the exploitation of this vulnerability
    falls more under a type of social attack against the user rather than a
    technical attack against the machine itself.  However, if one of these third
    party logon switch screens is improperly coded, there may be an additional
    technical attack against it beyond the scope of what you are suggesting.
    Signed,
    Ryan Permeh
    eEye Digital Security Team
    http://www.eEye.com/Retina -Network Security Scanner