Re: mount

From: Michal Zalewski (lcamtufat_private)
Date: Thu Dec 27 2001 - 12:43:33 PST

    On Thu, 27 Dec 2001, undef wrote:

    > I found that one could mount any device to some mount point which
    > already have something mounted to it. It is possible some device
    > (physical or virtual through vinum or NFS) to /. When two devices are
    > mounted to one mount point you could see contents of the last mounted
    > device. When you umount that last device you will see contents of the
    > first mounted device.

    Well, actually, on some Linux boxes it gets worse. For example, depending
    on how you chdir() to a root directory, you can end up in one filesystem
    or in another - some possibilities include /, ../../, somedir/../../, //,
    don't remember the extact combination... at least that's my experience
    with 2.2 a while ago.

    Michal Zalewski [lcamtufat_private] [security]
    [http://lcamtuf.coredump.cx] <=-=> bash$ :(){ :|:&};:
    =-=> Did you know that clones never use mirrors? <=-=
              http://lcamtuf.coredump.cx/photo/