Grokster and possible trojan (part 2)

From: scott [gts] (scottat_private)
Date: Thu Dec 27 2001 - 13:01:54 PST

    This is the email from jasonat_private detailing
    what he got when he tried to call the company and
    talk to them about the "click till u win" program.

    From: jasonat_private
    To: scottat_private
    Date: Thu 12/27/2001 3:36 PM

    Grokster.com is registered to:
    Certified Corporate Services
    7891 West Flagler Street 258
    Miami, Florida 33144, US
    1-310-388-5666

    The number is not in service.  I called information (411) and they have no
    listings in the area for this company, grokster, ltd or anything similar.
    Grokster.com is hosted by tera-byte.com, a company out of Edmonton, Alberta,
    Canada.  It looks as though the Florida address is just to have a US mailing
    address.  Good idea considering I wouldn't have touched this crap software
    if I know they were based out of the West Indies.

    There are three confirmed incidents where upon installed the grokster
    client, third party spyware software was installed.  Regardless if you
    choose to install the software or not, they are still installing it.  I
    don't know how the software chooses what to install because on both of my
    tests, I selected NOT to have anything aside from the client installed.  On
    each occasion, a separate piece of software was installed.  Upon restarted
    my computer, my antivirus software alerted me to a modified explorer.exe
    file located on my c drive.  After further inspection, this is what I found.
    PAY ATTENTION!!!

    Grokster creates a hidden folder in your c:\windows, c:\winnt directory
    called "explorer" and places a 31K file called explorer.exe in there.  They
    think they are fucking slick... oh oh maybe they won't notice.  How about
    the registry key they add under "Dlder"  This gets added under "run" and
    points to the false explorer.exe file.

    When I downloaded their client, I wanted to download music.  I did not ask
    that all these shady little changes be made to my computer.  I am
    recommending that anyone using this software, remove it along with the files
    I mentioned in this e-mail.

    Do not delete explorer.exe from your windows directory, just the one in the
    hidden "explorer" folder.  There is also a file called Dlder.exe that is
    located in the windows directory that can be removed. The program this file
    is associated with is "ClickTillUWin" and I specifically requested this crap
    not be installed.

    I don't know about you but I'm not going to be using anything from this
    company anymore.  Bastards.