Re: BitchX Segmentation Fault

From: Erik Sperling Johansen (erikat_private)
Date: Fri Dec 28 2001 - 05:51:37 PST

    > Hello vuln-dev,
    >
    > I don't know if this is a widely known thing, but recently I.. um...
    > discovered a segmentation fault bug in every BitchX irc client I've
    > encountered.

    There are LOTS of segfaults in BitchX. I've reported a 4-5 to the
    developers during the last month, but fixes seem to be slow.

    > The problem occurs when you try to change your nick during a connection
    > to the server. If you do it before the server registeres your nick,
    > BitchX drops with a segfault.

    That's a new one for me. I've had several though related to code like this:
    memset(somestring, 0, strlen(somestring)-1)

    There are a 4-5 occurences of these if you grep for it in the source, and
    only one of these actually checks for a 0-length string.

    Also, the FE builtin scripting function is broken, it will consistently
    SEGV if passed: something "" something

    None of the popular BitchX scripts seem to be remotely exploitable because
    of this, although i didnt research too much.

    --
    Erik Sperling Johansen