Re: malformed sql queries

From: JayBonci (jayat_private)
Date: Sat Dec 29 2001 - 18:27:49 PST

    Right, but you'd be insane to let anyone access your website with default
    queries like that. You don't want to insert any sort of item like that.

    Similarly you can do something like this:

    id='blah; drop table foo;'

    Note the semi-colon in the string. This will allow you to execute another
    sring.

    In many web forms, lazy (or underexperienced) programmers will leave out the
    the need to escape single quotes in a website form, injecting the string
    directly into a sql query.

    A webiste form that throws a 500 with a single quote in it is oftentimes
    vulnerable (as the sql syntax gets all messy at that point).  There is
    little to stop you from doing something like:
    blah '; delete from foo; select * from x where y='
    as a string into a web form.
    There are many many non-widespead exploits in that sort of code.  Wrap all
    your functions and do a
     $id =~ s/\'/\\\'/g; On your stuff.

    This isn't new, and it isn't wide spread, but it does stand mentioning.

    Also, ASP is particularly vulnerable to these sorts of troubles as there is
    not necessarily a default function to escape out SQL strings built into the
    language (from last time I used it).

    Just one more thing to think about...

            --Jay Bonci
              Manifest Research, Inc.