Re: Clicktilluwin DLDER Trojan

From: ByteRage (byterageat_private)
Date: Wed Jan 02 2002 - 14:36:53 PST

    below is the result of a small (read : fast)
    examination of this file... I can not guarantee
    everything is 100% correct (but at least 99,9% is ;)

    file name : dlder.exe
    file size : 40960 bytes
    md5sum("dlder.exe") : d41d8cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427e

    It's at least a very suspicious file since it's
    purpose seems to be to download a file into
    %windir%\explorer\explorer.exe
    (using calls to GetWindowsDirectoryA,
    CreateDirectoryA, SetFileAttributesA,
    URLMON!URLDownloadToFile)

    at startup the program also determines the operating
    system (GetVersionExA) and uses an import of
    RegisterServiceProcess to hide itself from the
    tasklist under win9x systems (the process list when
    you type CTRL+ALT+DEL)

    the program also makes the following keys :

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\games\clicktilluwin
    (with all keys under it belonging to the program)

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\CurrentVersion\Run\dlder

    the dlder key contains the filename of the downloaded
    file, so it contains "%windir%\explorer\Explorer.exe"

    the url the file explorer.exe is downloaded from I
    don't know, since the download seemed to fail on my
    machine because it was a null string

    the program should be detected by AV/AM since it is
    likely to be more then just adware / spyware or at
    least it's nasty enough to be classified as such
    (hiding as explorer.exe, an important part of the
    operating system is fraud)