Re: Netscape cross domain security hole

From: Henri Torgemane (henri_torgemaneat_private)
Date: Thu Jan 10 2002 - 19:56:25 PST

    Well yes and no.

    Netscape does have cross-domain security mechanisms.
    so w=open("http://www.far-away.com");alert(w.document.cookie);
    will fail because of that mechanism.
    Netscape protects parts of the DOM that are likely to contain sensitive
    stuff. That includes the location object, any form object, and I think
    m ost, if not all, of the document object.

    However, it doesn't block access to user-defined members of another
    page on another domain.
    So theorically, one could imagine a site A with a form, and a
    validation script that stores some of the form content in global
    variable, and an evil site B that gets open a window to site A and talk
    the user into filling the form, then keep polling specific global
    variables in hope to steal some data.
    Coming up with a practical attack is another matter.

    Hope that helps,
    Henri