Netscape cross domain security hole

From: Avi Mozes (amozesat_private)
Date: Thu Jan 10 2002 - 13:59:50 PST

    I found out that Netscape doesn't have security when
    it comes to accessing sites from domain to domain.
    This seems to work in 4.7x -- I have not tried it out yet
    in Netscape 6.  What this hole allows you to do is run
    any Javascript (and VBScript) functions on any site
    as well as change values of global variables.  This
    allows you to run functions that you shouldn't run or
    set variables to values that could damage or allow
    you to access information.

    The way it's done: have a page open (with a simple
    window.open command using a window handle) any
    site.
    To run a function, run on the parent page:
    winhandle.function(param);
    To change any variable:
    winhandle.var = value;

    One exploit is with cookies where you are able to get
    and set cookies if the site has cookie functions.  This
    will make it able for you to set cookies from that
    domain.  If a site relies on Javascript or cookies for
    some point of thier security system, this could be
    even more damaging.  And lastly, it can grab user
    information if a user uses a page with this exploit and
    continues to another domain opened by the page.

    Let me know your ideas on this.
    Avi
    amozesat_private