Re: Complicated Disclosure Scenario (Summary)

From: Josha Bronson (dmuzat_private)
Date: Fri Jan 18 2002 - 12:03:43 PST

    On Wed, Jan 16, 2002 at 07:01:24PM -0800, Josha Bronson said:
    > So, what would you do?

    Thank you to everyone for all your valuable opinions. I've gotten a lot
    of really great feedback on and off the list.

    I do use the RFPolicy as a guideline when disclosing security issues. I
    find that the policy outlined in that document is both fair and firm. I
    encourage everyone to read it if they have not.

    We have decided to work with a private security research group that has
    generously offered to help on creating an exploit. I'm confident that
    with their assistance we should be able to make a determination as to
    wether the issue can result in execution of code.

    I've alerted the vendor that research is continuing, and we will keep
    them posted on our findings. I've also stated to them that from the date
    we send them our final results we will wait for a period of two weeks
    until we make our findings public, fix or no fix. Two weeks may seem
    like a short time, but the vendor has been aware of this issue since
    early January.

    Thanks again to all who replied for your input.

    Cheers and happy new year,
    --
    Josha Bronson
    dmuzat_private