Complicated Disclosure Scenario

From: Josha Bronson (dmuzat_private)
Date: Wed Jan 16 2002 - 19:01:24 PST

    Greetings fellow security folk,

    I would like to gather some opinions on a not so theoretical disclosure
    scenario. Please for the sake of focused discussion keep your replies
    related to the specific scenario that I am proposing and not alternate
    opinions on disclosure in general.

    The situation is thus. I have discovered a bug in a major software
    vendors application. Initially the bug presented itself as a way to
    crash the application, i.e. a DoS condition. Upon further research I
    determined that I was able to overwrite some return addresses by
    formating the overflow in a specific way. As we all know this means that
    there is the possibility that this could allow code to be executed on
    the remote system.

    At this point I contacted the vendor to alert them to the existence of
    this problem. After exchanging multiple emails, in which I tediously
    outlined the DoS condition and *potential* exploit situation I was told
    that they would wait until I determined if code could be exploited
    before they began creating an advisory or even working on a patch.

    I informed this vendor, who is by no means short on resources, that I
    might not be able to successfully make that determination due to
    constraints on my time (after all I do this for fun) and ability, as
    this problem exists on an architecture that I have very little
    experience with.

    I encouraged the vendor to begin their own investigation. They ignored
    this, and again stated that they would await my results.

    This is the problem as it sits. If I reach out to "the community" for
    additional assistance with researching this bug I might as well just send
    out an advisory. If I release an advisory the vendor will most likely
    not have a patch ready, they will feel violated and the user base will
    be left open to exploitation with no fix. If I do nothing, the problem
    persists and nothing gets accomplished, and maybe someone with not so
    good intentions discovers the same bug and uses it to do harm.

    So, what would you do?

    --
    Josha Bronson
    dmuzat_private