Lame: [NGSEC] Whitepaper Released: Polymorphic shellcodes vs. ApplicationIDSs

From: Charles 'core' Stevenson (coreat_private)
Date: Thu Jan 24 2002 - 20:32:03 PST

    This "whitepaper" is rather poorly written and seems to be more of an
    advertisement than anything else. There is little to no content of value
    and certainly nothing new has been discussed.  If you haven't already
    read it don't bother. It's one page of table of contents, about three
    short pages of half ass comments, a page on their product and page of
    references/credits. I think that a topic such as this requires a more
    thorough approach. It did get me thinking on a non-technical level about
    the problem and a hypothetical solution. So while I'm writing this
    e-mail I may as well toss out some ideas for discussion.

    <RANT>
    What's needed is to determine a method that detects the largest
    percentage of attacks in the shortest amount of time. For instance take
    the example of airport security. Large numbers of people must travel
    through the bottleneck of the security checkpoint in a timely fashion so
    that they are able to leave on a scheduled flight. The preventive
    measures are fairly common: have the person step through a metal
    detector, send the bags through an x-ray or infrared device and look
    quickly for signature patterns that could be a bomb, weapon, etc.. This
    does not prevent all risks from sneaking through undetected but for a
    long time it was sufficient. On September 11th a vunerability in airport
    security was tragicly exploited and new measures were added to increase
    security. Random travelers are pulled from the line and searched
    thoroughly. Suspicious looking individuals are searched. And even once
    on the flight security personnel are present to disrupt any attempt at
    an attack. If we apply the same measures to computer security the
    largest percentage of risk should effectively be minimized.

    Here's a hypothetical procedure that parallels the aforementioned
    example: (N)IDS checks for the signatures of attacks that have the
    lowest chance of being a "false positive" -- this is the metal detector.
    The packet is quickly checked for any abnormalities perhaps a
    significant number of bytes with the same value that could be NOPS. Or
    maybe the packet is suspiciously large. Basically some proven metrics
    which effectively diminish the risk. A trigger on either of these would
    be weighted and be more apt to be further examined accordingly. Random
    datagrams are fully examined. And lastly and perhaps most important is a
    measure within the application itself to prevent and disrupt attacks.

    Nothing new here but perhaps something that has never been cohesively
    implemented. I digress... back to detecting polymorphic shellcodes. I
    know of a couple different techniques being used currently by some IDS
    and in other fields which attempt to discover anomalies in a less rigid
    fashion than mentioned in the paper. In the first method I am aware of
    behavioral analysis patterns of system activity are recorded. The
    behavior of the system is then monitored and compared against the
    baseline and anything abnormal is suspect. Another method is the use of
    artificial neural networks (ANN) to detect an attack. One might train an
    ANNIDS to learn the difference between valid packets and malicious
    packets. From a theoretical perspective these methods are quite
    interesting although from an implementation standpoint they might be
    impractical.

    Distributed Artificial Neural Network Network Intrusion Detection System
    (DANNNIDS)... hrm that's a bit redundant sounding but damn it'd be
    cool... *drool*

    Please send me your ideas, comments, flames, proof-of-concept code
    complete with genetic algorithms and net topologies ;-)
    </RANT>

    Best Regards,
    Charles Stevenon