Re: [NGSEC] Whitepaper Released: Polymorphic shellcodes vs. ApplicationIDSs

From: Charles 'core' Stevenson (coreat_private)
Date: Sat Jan 26 2002 - 10:53:36 PST

    The code is interesting and pretty nice except that it detects just
    about anything as shellcode. Even the last e-mail I sent out to you and
    forgot to CC to the list. ;-)

    IA32 shellcode found: Protocol TCP 127.0.0.1:57118 -> 127.0.0.1:25
    Dumping data:
    @hotmail.com>..Content-Type: text/plain;
     charset=us-ascii..Content-Transfer-Enco
    ding: 7bit....But it also detected the l
    ast e-mail I sent as shellcode.....Haha.
    .....peace,..core....Robert Flicker wrot
    e:..> ..> Hi charles:..> ..> Have you te
    sted the sourcecode that comes with the
    paper:..> ..> http://www.ngsec.com/downl
    oads/misc/NIDSfindshellcode.tgz..> ..> A
    s far as i know is the first public code
     that does this stuff...> It may be not
    hot-news but i think it worth the downlo
    ad, and is a better..> solution for curr
    ent IDS than your exoteric thoughts with
     Neuronal Networks..> and distributed si
    gnature checking... INMHO uimplementable
     in current IDS..> technologies...> ..>
    Quoting from www.snort.org:..> ..> "Pape
    r: Polymorphicisms be gone..> .....> His
     ideas revolve around counting multiple
    NOP type operations in a row and..> aler
    ting when a threshold is reached. The id
    ea has been kicked around for a..> while
    , but this is the first one that I have
    seen in actual implementation...> .....>
     "..> ..> Current snort branch and its t
    echnique to detect shellcode is very eas
    y..> foolable ;P... NIDSfindshellcode is
     also foolable but in a harder way...> .
    .> Robert Flicker..> ..> _______________

    Best Regards,
    Charles Stevenson