Enumerating users on a Domino webserver

From: nicobat_private
Date: Wed Jan 30 2002 - 08:54:41 PST

    Hi,

    during a pen-test against a Domino 5.0.8 webserver, I was able to enumerate valid users.

    A simple "GET /mail/toto.nsf HTTP/1.0" redirects to the login page (with a "200 OK"
    HTTP code) if the user "toto" exists and a "404 File not Found"  is returned if the user
    doesn't exist.
    This issue can allow a faster brute force attack on HTTP passwords.

    I have search the Net for more information about this problem, but I found nothing.

    Can the readers reproduce this behaviour ?
    Do you see others implications than users enumeration (for social engineering and brute
    force attacks) ?

    Nicob