Re: switch jamming

From: Sebastian Jaenicke (tsaat_private)
Date: Wed Jan 30 2002 - 14:13:14 PST

    Hi,

    On Wed, Jan 30, 2002 at 10:05:08PM +0000, Jan wrote:
    [..]
    > how can i sniff upon a switched network segment ? a read some articles about "switch jamming" and "port mirroring" but up to know i didn't learn anything special at all.
    > ca some of your guys out there help me ? (i'm sure some of you can but are you willing, too ?)

    This can be achieved by flooding the switch with spoofed ARP packets until
    its internal MAC table is filled up - most switches will then revert to
    "hub mode" and therefore broadcast all traffic to the network where it
    can easily be sniffed.

    http://www.sans.org/newlook/resources/IDFAQ/switched_network.htm should
    give you some (more accurate?) information.

    Sebastian
    --
    Sebastian Jaenicke
    whois pgpkey-18AC0BE4at_private|perl -ne's-^certif: +--&&print'