RE: CSS, CSS & let me give you some more CSS

From: Joe Harrison (list-generalat_private)
Date: Thu Jan 31 2002 - 12:09:48 PST

    I can't help feel the importance of these cross-site-scripting attacks is
    over-emphasised.

    1. You can grab a session cookie which can give you a hijacked login.
    Obviously not good but also not that easy to implement as it needs quite
    precise timing. Also the rightful session owner (even if unsophisticated
    user) is immediately going to notice something funny is happening when his
    or her genuine session blows away.

    2. Gives increased scope to effect script attacks against known holes,
    by-passing "security zone" protections in IE. Hmm well OK, there may be a
    few people who fit into profile of "savvy enough to manage sites and zones,
    but who don't install MS browser patches."

    Is there anything else, I don't think so. I'm not saying the problem doesn't
    exist and can't be exploited, only that maybe it doesn't rate so much heat
    and light compared to many more obvious risks.