Re: CSS, CSS & let me give you some more CSS

From: Slow2Show (sl2shoat_private)
Date: Tue Jan 29 2002 - 15:24:28 PST

    >Ok, so I am a little confused.  My understanding of
    >CSS is that an attacker is trying to reach a victim
    >through a 3rd party website. For instance, I post a
    >message to a message board that contains
    >javascript, and it runs on a victim's machine, who
    >viewed that message.

    Yes this is one form of webApp attack you are using
    the CSS attack vector to return user injected
    script/HTML/PHP back to a page that is viewable by
    other website visitors...this is one of the more
    damaging attacks...but isn't all that CSS is limited to

    >The reason I am confused is that, all of your
    >supposed CSS vulns are directed at search
    >scripts.  Do the queries you are entering get stored
    >on the website, for later viewing by OTHER users?
    >It doesn't seem likely.  The only person you could
    >exploit would be, well, yourself.

    Search engine inputs are notorious for not sanitizing
    user input..I believe that is why phine chose to focus
    them...and yes you do bring up a good point, the
    website queries could be stored on a website...to be
    viewed later by someone interested in seeing what
    people are searching for....company user loads up
    the admin query page...user injected script is
    executed, and that website's cookie has now been
    processed by the attackers "cookie collection PHP
    script(CCPS) on a remote server.

    How could this affect John Q. Surfer?
    well lets say I send him a link with a partial Hex
    converted URL ex:
    http://website.com/someform?input=%73%75%70

    This could be used in a Social Engineering attack to
    trick another user to visit this link and have their
    cookie stolen by the attacker's CCPS...or the attacker
    could use javascript to manipulate the DOM and act
    on the users part to do various actions...lets say post
    a message automatically on a forum.

    >Maybe I have completely missed the boat on this
    >one, and if so, please explain how I could attack
    >someone ELSE with these...
    No you just didn't see the whole boat through the
    fog...cheezy I know ;-)

    >Now if you showed me that I could slip SQL into one
    >of these search boxes, then I would call that a
    >vulnerability...
    that is a whole other story....

    reference linx:
    http://www.cert.org/tech_tips/malicious_code_mitigati
    on.html
    http://www.owasp.org/
    http://httpd.apache.org/info/css-security/

    -Slow2Show-
    University of Florida

    Disclaimer: I'm just a stupid college kid!