Re: CSS, CSS & let me give you some more CSS

From: Bill Pennington (billpat_private)
Date: Fri Feb 01 2002 - 08:38:35 PST

    For any commercial site it is almost impossible to use any portion of the
    address for "authentication" or non-repudiation. The main reason is AOL. The
    last e-com site I managed 70% or our traffic came from AOL. IIRC AOL used
    proxy "pods" for their netblocks. I would watch users hop from IP to IP and
    sometime across entire subnets during a session. Now you could code your app
    to break for AOL users but if you are a commercial entity that could present
    a few problems.

    The best use to IP address authentication is in a LAN environment where
    users are far less likely to go address hoping.