Re: buffer overflow on whois (redhat linux 7.0/7.1 on i686)

From: Jeff Nathan (jeffat_private)
Date: Fri Feb 01 2002 - 13:36:38 PST

    Blake Frantz wrote:

    > I realize the threat is not huge but, some IDS consoles such as demarc
    > call whois from a web interface.  If you have a poorly secured IDS console
    > an attacker could utilize an exploit in whois to run code on your IDS
    > console with the same permissions as a web user.  Again, this is not Earth
    > shattering, and a lot would have to be 'broke' already for an attacker to
    > get much out of it, but it's atleast worth mentioning.
    >
    > -Blake
    >
    > On 31 Jan 2002, jon schatz wrote:
    >
    > > On Thu, 2002-01-31 at 08:37, ladd harris wrote:
    > > > Testing the whois -p i also get a core dump on red
    > > > hat 7.1....tried two machines both seem effected.
    > > > whether it can be exploited i do not still need to do
    > > > more tests......
    > >
    > > but what are you going to exploit? i found this bug a while ago, but
    > > never reported it because
    > >
    > >       1) the (newer) whois-1.0.9-1 rpm fixed the problem, and
    > >       2) whois isn't setuid. and never needs to be
    > >
    > > so at most, you're talking about executing code as yourself, which you
    > > can do without a buffer overflow.
    > >
    > > -jon
    > >
    > > --
    > > jonat_private || www.divisionbyzero.com
    > > gpg key: www.divisionbyzero.com/pubkey.asc
    > > think i have a virus?: www.divisionbyzero.com/pgp.html
    > > "You are in a twisty little maze of Sendmail rules, all confusing."

    This looks like a null pointer dereference and is probably the result of
    a missing NULL test before attempting to use strlen.  It's a mistake but
    it's unlikely that it's an actual vulnerability.

    -Jeff

    --
    http://jeff.wwti.com            (pgp key available)
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."