Re: Encryption Algorithm Footprint

From: Ryan Permeh (ryanat_private)
Date: Wed Feb 06 2002 - 09:41:16 PST

    you may need to examine the specific protocol.  open protocols typically can
    negotiate the strength and type of cipher used, in which case, if you have
    the negotiation phase(typically part of the initital key exchange phase) of
    a protocol, you can gather which symetric algorithm was used for transit.
    If this is a closed protocol, it may have a single symetric algorithm,
    negating the need for a negotiation phase.

    You may also want to attempt some plaintext crypt attacks against this.  if
    you know anything about the protocol, you may be able to do some testing
    with your key data against common algorithms in an attempt to see what comes
    up as plaintext.  Since you have the key, and the crypted data, getting
    crypted data of data you already know should prove or disprove any
    algorithmic tests.

    Finally, if you are equiped to do so, you may want to take this away from a
    black box test.  Since you have the program, use debugging and disassembly
    techniques to isolate and tag your algorithm in your client binary.  This is
    likely to be a last resort, but it will almost always work (it will take
    time and somewhat specialized skills).

    Hope this helps.
    Signed,
    Ryan Permeh