Encryption Algorithm Footprint

From: fooyu (securityat_private)
Date: Wed Feb 06 2002 - 00:49:03 PST

    I am auditing one of my critical service system. This system provides our users a method of stock exchange. By using ethereal I found the data packets was encypted like in SSL. Next I found the private key in my server and encypted symmetric key payload in the captured packets. After successfully decrypting the 16- bytes symmetric key, I test many encryption algorithm to decrypted the captured ciphertext, but all failed.

    I want to know if encryption algorithm has footprint. Is there any technica to find which encryption algorithm it used?

    Thank you all and Happy Chinese New year!

    Haiyan Chen

    [securityat_private]
    www.fooyu.com