Re: Comcast man-in-the-middle attack

From: Crist J. Clark (cristjcat_private)
Date: Sat Feb 09 2002 - 04:10:19 PST

    On Fri, Feb 08, 2002 at 04:08:02PM -0800, J Edgar Hoover wrote:
    > On 8 Feb 2002, jon schatz wrote:
    [snip]

    > > I truly don't buy it. No offense, but your level of paranoia seems to
    > > match your email handle. I mean, if they really wanted to track all
    >
    > I *catch* them snarfing my traffic, and I'm paranoid?

    They are your ISP. All of your traffic goes through their
    machines. They already see it all. If they want record the data you
    are sending over their network, they could do so without you ever
    knowing. So can everyone else in between your computer and the other
    of any connection. It seems like one might as well get all uptight
    that _they are storing your email on their servers!_ Of course they
    are if you have a maildrop with them. They see all of your HTTP
    traffic! Of course they do, it crosses their network.
    --
    Crist J. Clark                     |     cjclarkat_private
    http://people.freebsd.org/~cjc/    |     cjcat_private