Re: Comcast man-in-the-middle attack

From: J Edgar Hoover (zorchat_private)
Date: Fri Feb 08 2002 - 16:08:02 PST

    On 8 Feb 2002, jon schatz wrote:

    > > Whether the device is performing correctly is not the question. The
    > > question is whether the device is appropriate at all in this context.
    >
    > It certainly is. Comcast (like all ISPS) sells alot more bandwidth than
    > they actually have. Without some type of caching system, their network
    > performance would suffer greatly.

    ***Caching wasn't turned on!***

    Besides, your argument is that user privacy should be sacrificed to save a
    few cents each in bandwidth costs?

    > But you're not sending just any packet. you're sending an http request.
    > We dealt with this issue at my previous employer, and non-http requests
    > on port 80 were just passed through without any interference.

    This implimentation grabs everything going to port 80, anywhere,
    regardless of higher level protocol.

    Also, I may not be sending "just any packet", but i'm also NOT sending it
    to a comcast server. It's not theirs.

    > I truly don't buy it. No offense, but your level of paranoia seems to
    > match your email handle. I mean, if they really wanted to track all

    I *catch* them snarfing my traffic, and I'm paranoid?